Thursday, December 8, 2011

Virender Sehwag says never expected to score a double hundred in ODIs

INDORE: Skipper Virender Sehwag, who on Thursday created history by scoring the highest ODI score of 219, admitted that he never expected to score a double hundred although the thought only crossed his mind during the batting Powerplays.

Pics: Sehwag slams highest ODI score | Sehwag's profile | Scorecard

"I never expected to score a double hundred. While opening the innings, I told Gautam Gambhir that if we can show some patience on this track, we will be in for a big one as the wicket is a good one. The outfield is fantastic and the distance of the boundary is only 50 yards," Sehwag said after his epic knock of 219 off just 149 balls against the West Indies.

The dashing opener said that once the batting Powerplay started, the thought of reaching double hundred crossed his mind.

"It was only after the batting Powerplay started, I felt that I could reach double hundred. Also when Sammy dropped me (at 170), I knew that God was with me," Sehwag stated.

He thanked his family and thousands of fans who had always had the expectation that he can score a double hundred in ODIs.

"I want to thank my family and fans. I know people expected me to score a double century. Today when I wanted to hit a six, I just did that."

Sehwag said that he was determined to make amends for the string of poor scores in the first three ODIs.

"I have said this earlier also that the top-order needs to contribute. It was a wicket where one could score big runs if he stayed around for 30 overs."

The historic knock certainly seemed to have taken a toll on Sehwag as he smiled and said: "Obviously, I am very tired. I am an old man now and my back gets stiff. So I need to take an ice bath."

Player
Country
Best
Opp
Venue
Year
Virender Sehwag
India
219
WI
Indore
2011
Sachin Tendulkar
India
200*
SA
Gwalior
2010
Charles Coventry
Zimbabwe
194*
Bangladesh
Bulawayo
2009
Saeed Anwar
Pakistan
194
India
Chennai
1997
Viv Richards
West Indies
189*
England
Old Trafford
1984
Sanath Jayasuriya
Sri Lanka
189
India
Sharjah
2000
Gary Kirsten
SA
188*
UAE
Rawalpindi
1996
Sachin Tendulkar
India
186*
New Zealand
Hyderabad
1999
Shane Watson
Australia
185*
Bangladesh
Mirpur
2011
MS Dhoni
India
183*
Sri Lanka
Jaipur
2005

No comments:

Post a Comment